Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2010 Ontario Indoor Cup Comment

I’ll be posting my briefing on the 1 round of the Ontario indoor Cup that we entered along with pics in a few days. However, I will say this the tournament was a roller coaster ride for me that ended up in our favor. I found something on a web site called Off The Pitch that I visit from time to time when I want to read inside youth soccer gossip.

This posting is from one of the members on Off the pitch


Day 1, and already I have to eat my words. EM C was pressed into action when Mount Hamilton dropped from the event. And surprise surprise, they went on to win group 2 courtesy of a 2-1 win over North Miss. Well done Rising Eagles! It was a good game to watch - and could have gone either way - the Eagles' keeper was the difference in my opinion. North Miss won their other games handily so move on to the next round in 2nd place.


What was your over all feed back from participating in the Ontario Cup?


2 comments:

  1. Agree with the quote in other forum, that Kirsten made some key saves to keep us in the game and give our offence a chance to tie and eventually take the lead in the 2nd game vs. North Miss.
    I am not a big fan of the defensive "2-2-1" format that the team appeared to play for the entire tournament, and 98A team was easily able to exploit that during the whole 1st game, as they played the short balls out on almost all their goal kicks. But that formation seemed to produce the results in the end.
    As a soccer fan, and soccer dad, I truly enjoyed this tournament and hope the girls can carry the momentum they built onto the final rounds of this Ontario Cup the end of this month. Need to reinforce the good and correct the bad in preparation for the next games. Good Luck Rising Eagles!! ... SoccerDad_8

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Kirsten was the deciding factor – in most cases GK are usually the deciding factor. I would say in all three games the GKs played well and its games like the Ontario Cup that generate exposure for those girls looking to take their game to the next level. However let us not take anything away from the team they played the 2-2-1 to the best of their understanding. 2-2-1 if played correctly (allowing for the short ball) is the most sound defensive structure in a 6V6 indoor format. I don’t base my team formation on preference I base it on team roster make-up and experience. All of last year we utilized a 2-1-2 format and competed in a lot of games and lost quite a few of them too.

    In our first play off game of last year I switched to a 2-2-1 adjusting to a competitive advantage I recognized in the opposition. It back fired on me a team we beat all season beat us when it counted. What I trying to say here is “you can’t make adjustments (format changes) of this sort on the fly if you have not justifiably (practiced) accounted for those changes it will cause confusion resulting in – I can’t say a loss – because there has been times coaches have made formation changes and resulted in a win allowing them the status of coach of the year”. The only time formation changes work well is when you have seasoned veterans that understand and have the skill to work the principle being applied.

    The team is just starting to understand the principle behind 2-2-1 soon they will be able to see and explode on the advantages as well as compensate on the soft spots that take team support to close down.

    Coach Don

    ReplyDelete